Job Number 20020253
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location W Singapore – Sentosa Cove| Lot 1412N Muklim 32| Singapore|
Brand W Hotels
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Boldly coloring outside the lines of luxury| W turns the traditional notion of
the extravagant hotel on its head. Our irreverent attitude and taste for
excess redefine revelry for the modern jet set. Our guests have a lust for a
life less ordinary that drives them to demand more| experience it all| and hit
We share our guests’ passions| providing insider access to what’s new and
what’s next. Moderation is not in our vocabulary and we know that lust for
life demands more| not less. W guests soak it in and live each day with a
mantra: Detox.Retox.Repeat. If you’re ready to create the energetic W scene
that is magnetic to everyday disruptors around the world| then we invite you
to explore a career with W Hotels.
The Assistant Controller manages the day-to-day operation of the Accounting
Office. Primary responsibilities include financial analysis and financial
reporting| budgeting/forecasting| audit and control| asset and liability
reconciliation| working capital and cash control.
Education and Experience
4-year bachelor|s degree in Finance and Accounting or related major
3 years relevant work experience in a supervisory capacity.
Previous work experience in the hospitality industry would be an advantage.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Assisting in Management of Accounting Team
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead| influence| and
encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making;
demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Oversees internal| external and regulatory audit processes.
• Ensures that regular on-going communication occurs with employees to create
awareness of business objectives| communicate expectations| and recognize
• Celebrates successes by publicly recognizing the contributions of team
• Establishes and maintains open| collaborative relationships with employees.
• Provides excellent leadership (e.g.| differentiates top performers| fosters
teamwork and encourages work/life balance).
• Ensures employees establish and maintain open| collaborative relationships
within their team.
• Participates in the employee performance appraisal process| providing
feedback as needed.
• Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to
Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
• Utilizes an |open door| policy.
• Solicits employee feedback.
Managing Projects and Policies
• Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports|
• Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and
• Compiles| codes| categorizes| calculates| tabulates| audits| or verifies
information or data.
• Ensures that the P&L is accurate (i.e.| costs are properly matched to
revenue| costs are recorded in the proper accounts) and statements are
delivered to appropriate individuals in a timely manner.
• Reconciles balance sheet.
• Ensures tax rates used for sales/use tax are current and proper amounts are
collected and/or accrued.
• Ensures compliance with standard and local operating procedures (SOPs and
• Ensures account balances are supported by appropriate documentation in
accordance with SOPs.
• Reviews audit issues and makes corrections as necessary.
• Ensures property permits| licenses and if applicable vendor contracts are
• Leverages centralized accounting processes and shared services.
Demonstrating and Applying Accounting Knowledge
• Demonstrates knowledge of job-relevant issues| products| systems| and
• Keeps up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job.
• Uses computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to
program| write software| set up functions| enter data| or process information.
• Uses relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether
events or processes comply with laws| regulations| or standards.
• Leverages technology and effectively uses information systems and tools to
generate financial reports and provide managers with analytical support to
Proving Financial Information and Guidance to Others
• Informs and/or updates the executives| the peers and the subordinates on
relevant financial information in a timely manner.
• Attends critique meetings to review information with management team.
• Advises the Director of Finance on existing and evolving operating/financial
• Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is
easy to understand and drives desired behaviors.
• Provide direction and assistance to other organizational units regarding
accounting and budgeting policies and procedures| and efficient control and
utilization of financial resources.
• Provides information to supervisors| co-workers| and subordinates by
telephone| in written form| e-mail| or in person.
Maintaining Finance and Accounting Goals
• Submits reports in a timely manner| ensuring delivery deadlines.
• Ensures profits and losses are documented accurately.
• Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals| budget goals| team
• Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize| organize| and accomplish
• Monitors all taxes that apply| ensuring that taxes are current| collected
• Supports a strong accounting & operational control environment to safeguard
assets| improve operations and profitability and manage business risks.